Sunday, May 15, 2011

Why I agree with Weitz views on defining art, or not defining it.

Weitz theory that art is indefinable is something that I strongly agree with. I believe that constant change of the art world makes it impossible to set any standards in which art can be defined by.  If one does set standards based on traditional views, it is very likely that many art forms would be excluded for example the art form of tattooing, as well as the culinary arts. Weitz theory often lead one to believe that potentially there can never truly be a solid definition of art. In my opinion, I think that their are a set of standards that one must follow in order to critique what art is. But I believe those set of standards are all individual. There are no one set of standards that is universally agreed upon, and that is used to critique art. Truly all there is, is one's own perception of the piece of work as well as one's emotional response and connection. Overall I think that Weitz is a great starting of point that on can look at if one is against writing a definition of art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment